Hello !
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Free Art Software  (Read 5032 times)
rum
The Ruminator
Alumni

the rum is always watching you.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2006, 11:25:56 pm »

so for all you kiddos out there that want to try a paint program like painter or oc, you may want to try ArtRage it was developed as a free program and you can still download the free version, it later was refined into a commercial program available for 20 bucks. it fits on a floppy disk. neat stuff. i had a chance to take it for a spin, and it's pretty shway. give it a download and check it out. the link to the program is shown below.

shocked

jr

ArtRage

and here's a doodle i did with it using the marker tool.

For_dark
Freshman

Waitin for the right time to take the shot, gettin past the defense, that's just what I do, I ball

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 03:15:23 pm »

Nice I was looking for a free painting program but i never found one I have to try this out.

Thanks for the info Cheesy

Waitin for the right time to take the shot, gettin past the defense, that's just what I do, I ball

Dark Rapidash

Hi... my favorite manga is From Far Away, I love Pokemon, and I love horse back riding!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 01:47:03 pm »

Awesome! I've also been looking for a free/cheap art program but haven't found one (under $40, that is). And the fact it fits on a floppy disk makes it great! Thanks for the link!

Yo, I'm back! ^.^

rednotdead
Sophomore

For Great Justice!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 12:22:00 am »

If anyone is looking a good paint/art program, try Project Dogwaffle. Not only does it support basic paint functions, it also has numerous other tools ranging from watercolors to pastels to smear/smug effects and much more. Unfortunately, the free version doesn't have layers, however.

Site Page:

Look at some of the pictures in the gallery, its pretty amazing for freeware I think.

"Your flesh is a relic, a mere vessel. Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you. We Demand it."

-The Second Renaissance,
 The Animatrix

Ceta
Sake Sponge
Advanced Student
Junior

Got sake?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 03:01:38 am »

Surprised no one added this to the list:

GIMP (Compatible with Mac, PC, and Unix. Not sure about Linux, though. I'll leave it to the Linux users to figure that one out.)

Also, if you're a Mac user looking for a pixel art program check this one out:

Pixen

自分の心を信じたら、君の夢はきっと本物になるよ。

FoX

Yes, another coffee please!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 04:28:20 pm »

To complete Ceta's post:
GIMP is compatible with Linux ( it was originaly written for Linux Cheesy )

Other Linux drawing tools :
Xara xtreme - free for Linux only, cost money for windows
Inkscape - vector graphics, windows version avaliable
Blender - 3D modeling tool, windows version avaliable
Skencil - vector graphics, Linux/MacOSX/Solaris
SodiPodi - vector graphics, windows version avaliable
WetDream - Water color - Linux only, old software

That's all for now !

FoX

The espresso machine junky

Pa_Hsia
Wolfling
Advanced Student
Alumni

Alignment: Belligerent Good

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 04:10:37 am »

Colors! for the Nintendo DS.

If it's good enough for Raphael Lacoste (the Art Director for Assassin's Creed), it's good enough for pretty much anyone.

"Courteousness takes you further than cleverness; determination takes you further than talent."
-
Portfolio: Cheerful Omelette

caleb
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 09:50:16 pm »

This isn't exactly software as such, it's a browser-based application that emulates Photoshop pretty closely:

http://www.sumopaint.com/app/

I think you might need to sign up to use the application, but you can open images from your computer or the internet and save back onto your computer. The only thing it doesn't really have is pressure sensitivity, which as far as I know would be impossible in a browser-based application anyway.

Give it a try; it's especially good for times when you need a program quickly, but don't have one installed, or for those who don't have permission to install programs. Smiley

Pa_Hsia
Wolfling
Advanced Student
Alumni

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 04:45:15 am »

Phoenix is a photoshop equivalent, and part of another set of flash-based in-browser apps.
I haven't used it before, but some of the images in the gallery look alright.

"Courteousness takes you further than cleverness; determination takes you further than talent."
-

caleb
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 06:24:12 pm »

Picasa (Pick-arse-ah): http://picasa.google.com/

This is kind of art software. I'm going to recommend it because I use it frequently to find my textures to use in my CG artwork, both 3D and 2D. Basically, it finds all the photos on your computer and puts them all in one place so you can easily search for and find them. You can even tag them so you get your own mini google images search.

Barely a day goes by when I don't use this program for finding textures. I have a million photos that I've taken over the past few years, and searching for them through folders is a real pain. If you're the kind of person who goes out into your back garden for fifteen minutes with a camera and comes back inside with 300 or so photos, then this is definitely for you. Wink

caleb
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 11:56:32 am »

Anyone tried Alchemy?

http://al.chemy.org/

it's not for finished artwork; it basically generates random shapes as you draw- essentially a program that makes happy accidents happen.
You can choose to turn features on and off

Pa_Hsia
Wolfling
Advanced Student
Alumni

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 05:41:09 pm »

Flame Painter
Not a serious arting tool, but quite fun to play around with.

I understand Krita is a good choice for Linux-buased artists, but haven't used it myself.

-

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: